Happy Summer Friends!
What inspired us to create this Pineapple Kiwi Chia Fresca?
These past few days we have been experiencing a serious heatwave, with the outside temperature reaching 29C (84F)! I know some of you might not consider this a crazy high temperature, however for those of us who live in Vancouver this kind of heat is a very rare thing! After all, this city supposes to be a rainforest. Needless to say, we are simply not accustomed to these temperatures. Since most homes around here are not equipped with an air conditioner we got to get creative about staying cool and hydrated.
What is Fresca?
Agua Fresca is a light and refreshing beverage, generally made with cold water blended with fruit, citrus, and a natural sweetener such as agave nectar or honey. Translated from Spanish, agua fresca means “cool water” and is a popular beverage for cooling down when temperatures spike in Mexico. So if it’s good for the Mexican heat, it will surely do the trick during the hottest months-round here.
To amp up the benefits of this drink, we mixed in some chia seeds. Not only that chia is an excellent source of omega’s, but when you soak these babies in water, they absorb 12x their weight in water. If you are into endurance sports then this Pineapple Kiwi Fresca is an excellent source to keep you hydrated during long runs, rides or hikes.
Pineapple Kiwi Chia Fresca
- 4 cups fresh pineapple - – about ⅓ large pineapple
- 2 large kiwis or 3 medium
- 2 - 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice - – add more if desired
- 4 cups filtered water
- sweetener see below for options
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
Sweetener (choose ONE, adjust according to taste)
- 1 - 3 Tablespoons coconut nectar 1 - 3 Tablespoons honey
- 1 - 3 Tablespoons raw agave
- 1 - 3 Tablespoons pure maple syrup
- Add the pineapple, kiwi, lime juice and water to a high speed blender and blend on high until it is pureed. Avoid filling your blender more than two-thirds of the way full. Work in batches if needed.
- Strain the pulp using a medium sieve. (Optional but recommended)
- Pour the fresca into a large pitcher or jar and taste for sweetness and acidity. Add your sweetener of choice and more lime juice according to taste. Finally stir in chia seeds. Mix well to avoid clumps, and refrigerate for 10-15 minutes or until ready to serve.
- You will have to stir again as the chia seeds will settle with time - this is totally normal.
- Store leftovers in an airtight container for up to one day.
Other refreshing drinks you may like:
Stay cool & hydrated!