VITAMIN RICH- MINERAL RICH-ANTIOXIDANT RICH-HIGH PROTEIN-DIGESTIVE SUPPORT
This porridge is a great alternative to the traditional versions. Pseudograins are seed-like grains, full of phytonutrients and antioxidants that can help lower blood sugar levels. They are an excellent, highly nutritious gluten-free alternative for those who for a variety of reasons (nut allergies or gluten sensitivity for example) cannot use nuts or traditional grains. Psoudograins are also a great source of complete protein and offer a healthy dose of dietary fiber.
For this porridge, I chose the combination of amaranth, buckwheat, millet and wild rice however, any combination of the above mention pseudograins will work. The important thing is not to skip the pre-soaking process, which allows for more nutrient density and easy digestion. The porridge is lovely on its own but even more delicious when topped with caramelized banana and raw chopped nuts.
Pseudo Grain Porridge with Caramelized Banana
Caramelized Banana Topping:
- 2 bananas sliced into rounds
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp real maple syrup
- sprinkle of cinnamon
- dash of vanilla bean powder
- raw chopped nuts cacao nibs, almond milk or any other desired toppings
- To receive the greatest nutritional benefit from this recipe, I encourage you to take the time and soak your pseoudograins. The night before you plan to serve the porridge, mix amaranth, buckwheat, millet and wild rice in a large pot cover with three to four cups of purified water and stir in one tablespoon lemon juice. Allow the pseudocereals to soak overnight or at least eight hours. Drain and rinse.
- Place the porridge mixture back into the pot, cover with 1.5 cups of water and a pinch of sea salt.
- Turn the heat to high and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Drop the heat to low, top with a lid and simmer for about 20 minutes. Add more water if needed.
- Remove from the stove and let sit covered and away from the heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare your topping.
Caramelized Banana Topping
- Heat the oil in a skillet over low heat. Add the maple syrup, cinnamon, and vanilla, and incorporate all ingredients well.
- Add bananas and simmer for 3-5 minutes until soft.
- To serve, fluff the porridge mixture with a fork, place in a couple of bowls, top with caramelized bananas and any other topping of choice.
Looking for more healthy plant-based breakfast ideas? We got you covered:
Dedicated to your health & wellbeing,