This is the perfect jar of goodness that you can make the night before and you’re ready to rumble first thing in the morning. A great option for PRE and POST WORKOUT meal. Want to know why? Read below…
We all know how important it is to fuel the body with high-quality foods in order to be healthy. However, if you are looking to improve your athletic performance and reach specific fitness goals the timing and nutrient balance could make a huge difference in your results. A combination of high-quality protein and complex carbohydrates will support your workout efforts and help with both energy and recovery!
Here are a few reasons why the carb/protein combo is so important:
- The combination of high-quality protein and complex carbohydrates will slow digestion and provide you with lasting energy and allow for sustain endurance during your workout.
- Carbohydrates are your primary energy source – including carbs from whole foods 1-2 hours before your training session will give your body the fuel needed for your session and avoid break down of hard-earned muscle.
- After workout carbs help facilitate the delivery of protein into your muscles for proper recovery and replenish your energy stores.
- When a carb is eaten alone, a quick rise in blood sugar can occur, which can lead to increased hunger, cravings, and then fatigue. The combo of protein with a carb helps to stabilize your blood sugar to avoid these symptoms!
- Fuelling your body on a clean, plant-based protein 1-3 hours post-workout is the key to forming strong muscles and supporting long-term health efficiently.
Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oatmeal - Pre and Post Workout Fuel
For the oats
- 1 and ¼ cup rolled oats - use gluten-free oats if allergic/intolerant to gluten.
- 2 tbsp chia seeds the more chia, the thicker the oats
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- 1/2 tsp cardamom
- 2 tsp lemon zest
- 2 tsp orange zest
- 1 tsp rose water optional
- 2 cups plant-based milk - oat milk, almond milk, coconut mylk
- 2 tbsp raw agave or maple syrup
For the topping
- 1 apple peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp goji berries or raisins
- 2 tbsp pecans or walnuts chopped
- ¼ tsp cinnamon powder
- Mix the oats, chia seeds, cinnamon, cardamom, lemon zest and orange zest in a large container. Add in the milk of choice, rose water (if using), and maple syrup. Mix to combine and set aside.
- In a separate bowl mix together all topping ingredients. Place about a tablespoon of this mixture in the bottom of
- Leave to set in the fridge overnight. Sprinkle the chopped nuts and more fruit (if desired) on top before serving.
- Overnight oatmeal will keep in the refrigerator for 2-3 days, though best enjoyed within the first 12-24 hours.
Looking for more plant-powered pre/post-workout ideas? Here are some of our other go-to’s:
- Post Workout Sweet Potato Toast – 3 Different Ways
- Hulk Smoothie Bowl
- Strawberry Maca Shake
- Plant-powered Muscle Mylk
Dedicated to your health & wellbeing,