We frequently get asked what to eat after a workout. Well, for us it’s always a little different, but there are some things that we highly recommend eating and drinking on a consistent basis: green leafy vegetables, power smoothies, celery, green juice, sea vegetables, coconut yogurt, berries, bananas and… avocados! The following recipe was featured in our second book the Plant Powered Athlete along with many other nutrient-rich, plant-based recipes designed to fuel your active lifestyle and satisfy your taste buds.
This one-bowl-only pea smash is so simple, and it requires only essential ingredients that you probably already have in your fridge. The combination of green peas and avocado creates quite the nutritional powerhouse; you are nourishing yourself with healthy fats, the right amount of protein, fiber and plenty of vitamin C. Also, avocado is one of the best sources of potassium— an important mineral for athletes as it helps maintain electrolyte balance, prevents cramping and reduces blood pressure. Enjoy this smash on toast, with fresh-cut veggies or on the side of a large green salad.
Avocado & Pea Smash (post-workout muscle meal)
- ¼ cup fresh or frozen peas
- ½ medium avocado peeled and pitted (see note)
- 1 tbsp fresh lime juice
- ¼ tsp Celtic sea salt
- ¼ cup fresh herbs such as basil, mint or cilantro, chopped
- 2 slices sprouted-grain bread a wrap (such as Ezekiel brand) or flax crackers (optional)
- Fresh-cut veggies optional
- Sprouts for garnish (optional)
- If using frozen peas, place in a glass cup or bowl and cover with hot water. Set aside for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, scoop the avocado into a medium bowl.
- Add the lime juice and salt, then mash together with a fork until a creamy consistency is achieved.
- Drain the defrosted peas and add them (or the fresh peas) to the avocado bowl together with your herbs of choice. Mix well.
- Serve on a slice of sprouted-grain bread, in a wrap, on flax crackers, or in a bowl with fresh-cut veggies.
- Garnish with sprouts (if using).
If you plan on making it for next-day lunch, put it in a small glass container with limited space on top, insert the avocado pit into the pea smash, seal and place in the fridge. The flavor will remain and the pit will keep the avocado from turning brown.
Looking for more healthy plant-powered breakfast ideas? You might enjoy our Quinoa Blueberry Breakfast Scone, Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oatmeal, 3- Ingredient Flourless Vegan Pancakes or Strawberry Maca Shake.
Dedicated to your health & wellbeing,