When it comes to making meals for a family or even for one person, batch cooking can save so much time. This Lentil Quinoa Loaf makes a large portion so you can refrigerate or freeze half of the meal to have on hand on busy days. Just pop it in the oven or a pan heat up and enjoy!
TIPS FOR LEFTOVERS
- Always keep leftovers in a glass airtight containers in the fridge or freezer. This will extend the shelf life of the food.
- Thaw frozen leftovers in the fridge overnight. It’s always best to thaw frozen food slowly in the fridge overnight before reheating it.
- Use low temperature settings for reheating food in the oven. I always use 350°F in my notes for reheating foods, especially frozen ones.
Quinoa Lentil Loaf
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 2 ½ cups water
- ½ cup quinoa
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or water
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 carrot thinly chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms sliced
- 1 bell pepper chopped
- 2 tsp curry powder
- ½ cup almonds chopped
- 2 chia eggs mix 1 tablespoon chia with 1/4 cup water = 1 egg
- ¾ cup quick cooking oats
- 1 cup fresh parsley or cilantro chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F.
- In a medium saucepan, bring the lentils and 2 ½ cups water to a boil.
- Reduce to simmer, covered and cook for about 25 minutes until the lentils are tender.
- Drain any excess water from the lentils.
- In a separate small pan, bring the quinoa and 1 cup water to boil.
- Reduce heat to simmer and cook for about 10 minutes until all of the water is absorbed.
- In a large frying pan, heat the coconut oil or water over medium heat and add the onions, carrot and mushrooms and cook for about 5 minutes until the vegetables are softened.
- Add the bell pepper and curry and continue to cook for about 4 minutes. adding more water as needed .
- In a large bowl, add the chia eggs, oatmeal, lentils, quinoa, vegetables, nuts, parsley and salt and pepper. Mix well.
- Shape the mixture into 2 medium size oval loafs or pour the mixture into a loaf pan that has been lightly coated with coconut oil,then press down until even on top.
- Place in a 350 degree F oven and bake for 45 to 50 minutes until firm and golden brown.
- Let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.