rich in fiber – high in plant-based protein -supports strong bones
If you like hummus, you are going to LOVE this vegan hummus soup recipe!
Simple, and simply wonderful. This soup is creamy, yet light, very comforting and something that just might become a part of your family’s regular dinner meals. You will experience all the familiar flavours of your favourite hummus flavoured with smoked paprika, turmeric and lots of lemons.
I highly recommend that you cook your own chickpeas whenever you can. Simply soak, drain and cook them with fresh water till cooked. You need 1 cup of dry chickpeas for this recipe which is for 3-4 people. Choosing organic beans is best, and buy them locally grown if you can find them. Try to refrain from purchasing canned foods, but when you do, make it a habit to read the labels because many canned foods contain BPA. However, a number of companies have changed their cans to make them BPA-free due to consumer backlash. This is a great example of how our choices can change the world for the better.
Crazy Good Hummus Soup
- 1 cup of dried chickpea cooked or 2 cans of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 cups of vegetable broth or water I used Microbiome Veggie Broth
- 2 carrots peeled and chopped
- 1/2 onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 3 Tbs tahini
- 1 Tbs of coconut oil
- juice and peel from one organic lemon
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- salt and fresh pepper to taste
- fresh herbs for garnish
- If using dried beans: Soak beans overnight.Drain and rinse. Cook for about 90 min.
- In a large pot melt 1 tbsp of coconut oil. Add in the chopped onion and heat over medium for several minutes, stirring often. After a few minutes, add in the minced garlic and stir on low heat.
- Add in paprika, turmeric, salt and fresh ground pepper. Stir for another minute or two, careful not to burn, adding little bit of water if necessary.
- Now add in the chickpea, carrots and vegetable broth. Stir well and bring to a boil. Once it boils, reduce heat to simmer for another 15-20 minutes or until carrots are tender.
- Turn off the heat,carefully transfer soup into a high speed blender (vitamix).
- Add in tahini, lemon juice and lemon peel.
- Blend until smooth. Be very careful opening the blender as it could explode and splash you!
- Pour into bowls and serve with garnish ( cilantro, parsley, lemon juice, paprika)
Dedicated To Your Health & Wellbeing,