This curry paste creates a great base for quite a few dishes. For example, you can take any leftover vegetables, simply add 1-2 Tbsp of this vegan red curry paste, mix in some coconut milk and in a matter of minutes, you will have a delicious curry on the table to enjoy. Or you can make a comforting soup similar to this one, perfect for a busy weekday dinner.Here is one of our favourite recipes for using this red curry paste.
Easy Thai Red Curry Paste
- 1 shallot (or 1/4 cup chopped purple onion)
- 1 medium red bell pepper (seeds removed and chopped)
- 4 sundried tomatoes (washed and rehydrated for 5 min)
- 1 stalk fresh lemongrass (or 3 tbsp frozen prepared lemon grass, available in Asian stores)
- 1-2 red chillies (stems removed, could be replaced with 1/2 to 1 tsp. cayenne pepper)
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 thumb sized piece of ginger (peeled and sliced)
- 1 " piece of turmeric (or 1 tsp ground turmeric)
- 1 tsp ground cumin (could also use cumin seeds)
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper (could also use 1/4 tsp. black peppercorns)
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar (or maple syrup)
- 1-3 tbsp thick coconut milk (depending on how thick you want the paste; reserve remaining for cooking the curry)
- 1 organic lime zest + juice
- 1/4 tsp cinnnamon (optional)
- Place all ingredients in a food processor or blender and process well to create a fragrant Thai red curry paste.
- If too thick, add a little more coconut milk to help blend ingredients.
- Keep in mind that the paste will taste very strong, but will mellow when you add all the other curry ingredients (vegetables, chickpeas, coconut milk, etc).
- The recipe is completely customizable depending on the desired heat level. Our variation can be considered about a “medium” heat level. For “mild” omit the red chillies, and for “hot” use 3 red chillies and add 1/2 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper (or to taste).
- This recipe makes about 12 ounces (around a cup and a half) of curry paste, so you can keep some in your fridge (it will last about a month) and freeze the leftovers.
Everybody needs to eat better so share this with your people. ❤️
Dedicated to your health & wellbeing,