This wholesome veggie stew made its first appearance in our book the Vegan Weight loss Manifesto back in 2017. The original recipe called for tempeh and sweet potatoes – lovely combo! However, because I very rarely follow a recipe (even if it’s my own) I decided to make a couple of adjustments to the original. Omitting the tempeh and adding red lentils instead made this a lighter dish but still full of flavour and nutrients!
BEST EVER ONE POT PORTOBELLO STEW
- 2 tbsp coconut oil divided
- 1 medium-size white onion chopped
- 1 tsp dried rosemary
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp sweet paprika or smoked paprika
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic
- 2 portobello mushrooms stemmed and thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup balsamic vinegar
- 3 medium-size carrots chopped
- 2 medium-size potatoes diced
- 2 ribs celery chopped
- 1 cup red lentils rinsed
- 1 tbsp coconut aminos or soy sauce
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
- 2 tbsp spelt flour or any other flour
- Fresh greens optional
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and rosemary, thyme and sweet paprika, and cook for 6 to 8 minutes. Add the garlic, stirring occasionally, and cook for another 2 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove from the heat and transfer the mixture to a bowl. Return the pan to medium heat and add the remaining tablespoon of oil.
- When the pan is hot, add the portobello mushrooms and bay leaves, cover with a lid and sauté until nicely browned, about 5 minutes, adding few tablespoons of water if needed. Pour the balsamic vinegar over the mushrooms and simmer on very low heat for another 3 to 5 minutes. Add the onion mixture, carrots, potatoes, celery, rinsed red lentils, coconut aminos, salt, black pepper and 2 cups of water, and bring to a boil. Simmer gently 20 to 25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Turn the heat to low. In a small bowl, mix the spelt flour with 1 cup of water, whisking together until the flour is integrated and forms a cloudy fluid. Add the flour and water to the stew, stirring to combine well. Cook for another 5 to 10 minutes, until the flour, thickens the stew. Remove from the heat. Serve with fresh greens on the side.
If you like this recipe, please do us a favour and share it with your friends. Together we can make this world a better place, one plant-based dish at a time 😉
Similar recipes you might enjoy:
Dedicated to your health & wellbeing,