These Vegan Berry Crumble Bars are a delicious sweet treat and guaranteed to curb those cravings! They are super simple to make, and they can easily be adapted to work with any fresh or frozen fruit you have on hand!
Did I mention the crust and crumble are the same so not only does this make prep easier, it also keeps all the ingredients the same.
Made with whole food, plant-based ingredients, so you can’t feel guilty if you opt for seconds 😉
BENEFITS OF QUINOA FLOUR
Quinoa, known as a pseud0-grain (which is actually a seed), is one of the few plants considered to be a complete protein. Due to it’s high protein content it’s also sometimes called a “superfood” or “super grain”. When it comes to plant-based eating it definitely is a “super star”, especially for athletes or weekend warriors looking to make some gains.
These seeds are highly nutritious and rich in fibre, B vitamins, vitamin E, and other minerals like iron, magnesium, calcium, potassium, and phosphorus. The high iron and magnesium content in quinoa can improve metabolic health.
Quinoa is gluten-free, and has a low glycemic index – which means it’s for anyone intolerant to gluten or for diabetics. They are also full of antioxidants that help fight aging and many diseases.
Vegan Berry Crumble Bars - High Protein
Crust + Crumble
- 1 cup organic rolled oats
- 1 cup quinoa flour*
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut unsweetened
- 1/4 cup date sugar (can substitue with raw cane sugar)
- 4 tbsp coconut nectar (can substitute with maple syrup)
- 1 1/2 tbsp raw nut butter
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp cardamon powder
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder
- 4 cups of fresh or frozen berries blueberry, raspberry, blackberry, strawberry
- 1/4 " piece of fresh ginger
- 1 tbsp psyllium husk
- 1 1/2 tbsp date sugar
- 1 tsp chia seeds
- Preheat your oven to 350*F.
- If using frozen berries, measure them into a bowl and cover with warm water to thaw. If using fresh, measure them into a bowl, cover with warm water and add a splash of lemon juice or apple cider vinegar - allow them to soak.
- In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients - oats, quinoa flour, whole wheat flour, shredded coconut, date sugar, cinnamon, cardamon, and vanilla. Mix it all together then add coconut oil, coconut nectar and nut butter. Continue mixing until a crumble like texture is formed. Set aside.
- Strain your berries and leave them to continue straining as you move on.
- Brush an 8"x 8" pan with coconut oil and press half of the crumble mixture into it until it is flat and equally distributed. Set aside the pan and other half of the crumble mixture.
- Next, in a vitamix add 1 cup of fresh or thawed berries along with the fresh ginger, psyllium husk, date sugar and chia seeds. Blend until smooth - you may have to add a splash of water (start small if you do). It should be a thick jam-like texture.
- Place the remaining 3 cups of berries in a bowl and coat with the blended berry mixture. Layer the berry mixture evenly across the crust in the pan, next crumble the remaining crust/crumble mixture on top. Optional - sprinkle top with some cinnamon.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes depending on your oven. When the top is lightly browned it is done. Allow them to completely cool before cutting (I know... such a tease!).
These bars are great as is or can be served with some Banana NiceCream or Coconut Yogurt.
Dedicated to your health & wellbeing,