Curry…the mere word makes my mouth water. This very easy plant-based curry may not be totally authentic, but it’s inspired by the flavors and aromas of traditional Thai curry- fairly well. You can serve it with brown rice and a basic green salad, and some fresh sprouts for a satisfying nutrient dense meal.
Quick + Easy Veggie Curry
- 2 Tbs coconut oil
- 1 shallot diced
- 1-3 inch piece of ginger peeled and minced (amount depends on your liking)
- 1 large yam peeled and diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and sliced
- 4 stalks of celery sliced
- 1 small head of broccoli broken into small pieces (about 2 cups)
- 1/4 tsp ground cardamon
- 1/2 tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 1 tsp sea salt or to taste
- 1 lemongrass stalk roughly chopped
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
- 1 1/2 cups coconut milk
- 2 Tbs raw pumpkin seeds (or cashews)
- First prep all your veggies and lemongrass. Wash them well, peel the shallot, yam and carrots, chopped, dice, and slice according to above suggestions.
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a large heavy pan or pot. Add the shallot, reduce heat to medium and cook 2 to 3 minutes or until shallot begins to soften.
- Add the minced ginger, give it a quick stir, then add the spices - cardamon, coriander, cinnamon and finally the turmeric. Add a splash of water, stir it all up, cover and continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes. Keep a close eye on it so it doesn't stick to the pan and burn.
- Add the diced yams and about 1 cup of water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until potatoes are tender about 10-15 minutes.
- Now add the rest of the veggies, carrots, broccoli, celery and chopped lemongrass.
- Sprinkle in salt and cayenne, stir, cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and heat through. Stir in pumpkin seeds. Remove from heat and serve.
Enjoy and let’s eat!