A tuna salad without actual tuna may seem like a hard sell, and I have to admit that it took me a while to even experiment with this recipe, but once I got on board, it became one of my favorites!
So, how can something taste like tuna when it is all raw and made from plants? The secret is dulse. Dulse provides the perfect mineral balance in a natural form and so is a superior source of minerals and trace elements we need daily for optimal health. Dulse is also rich in iodine, a key part of dietary health. Iodine helps with the formation of thyroid hormones, which regulate the body’s energy production, promote growth and development and helps burn excess fat.
This recipe has many other great health benefits and that’s why included it into our new book The Plant Powered Athlete. This book is full of practical tips, information on nutrition and over eighty satisfying vegan meals to fuel your active lifestyle. Click here to download a sample of the book.
Mock Tuna Salad is a great option for anytime meal. AT meals are lower in carbs, focusing more on high-quality plant protein plus healthy fats and high-fibre vegetables. Some of our go-to anytime meals also include:
Mock Tuna Salad
- 2 cups raw sunflower seeds soaked in water for 2 hours
- 3 to 4 celery ribs diced
- 2 scallions diced
- 2 tbsp dulse flakes
- ¼ cup fresh dill
- ⅔ cup hemp hearts
- ¼ cup coconut water or purified water
- 3 cloves garlic peeled
- ½ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbsp stone-ground mustard
- In a food processor, puree the sunflower seeds until they are a slightly chunky pâté. Transfer to a bowl.
- Mix in the celery, scallions, dulse flakes and dill. Stir well and set aside.
- Prepare the dressing: In a blender, combine all the dressing ingredients and blend until smooth. Pour the dressing over salad, toss to mix well and serve.
Dedicated to your health & wellbeing,