Not sure what to bring to your family holiday party? Try wowing everyone with this protein-rich vegan potato salad. This is not your average potato salad, it’s a healthy spin of a traditional dish my family would make every Christmas back home in the Czech Republic. I remember helping my mom prepare the potato salad a day before Christmas Eve so that all the ingredients can “mellow” and take on the flavours. Of course, the Christmas holidays are not the only time you can enjoy this festive salad. It is a popular dish for summer picnics, family get-togethers and potlucks as well as a great choice for your weekly plant-powered meal prep.
Czech Style Vegan Potato Salad – No Oil, No Mayo
- 3 large Yukon Gold potatoes
- 2 large carrots diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 2 celery stalks diced
- 1 small red onion minced
- 2 large pickles diced
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 cup cooked white cannellini beans
- 1/2 cup plant-based milk
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp pickle juice
- 1 tsp sea salt
- fresh ground pepper to taste
- Place the whole potatoes in a pot with cold water and a pinch of salt. Make sure the water covers the potatoes. Place the pot over high heat and bring the water to boil. Once the potatoes are boiling, lower the heat, but make sure the water keeps bubbling. Boil the potatoes until skins break and they are fork-tender. Drain and set aside until cool enough to handle. Peel skins and cut into cubes. Add potatoes into a large bowl.
- While potatoes are cooling, dice carrots and place in a small pot of boiling water. Add peas and cook until carrots are fork-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and add to the bowl with potatoes. add in remaining chopped veggies (celery, onion, pickles and parsley).
- The dressing can also be prepared while potatoes are boiling. If using canned beans make sure to to drain the beans and rinse them well. In a blender mix prepared beans, plant-based milk, hemp hearts, mustard, pickle juice, and sea salt. Blend on high speed and scrape down the sides if needed until the dressing is completely smooth and creamy. Add to potatoes and veggies. Gently toss and serve at room temperature or cold.
If you aren’t into white potatoes, sweet potatoes could easily be used here!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE?
Dedicated to your health & wellbeing,