I am not the most creative about coming up with names for salad recipes.
Usually, I just name them according to the things that are in them, which is… well, boring. So this is a kale salad mixed with other beautiful greens, some shredded cabbage, radish, mandarin orange and mung beans tossed with creamy cilantro and hemp dressing. But we are gonna call it West Coast Kale Salad, get it…like the West Coast Trail but…never mind.
This salad is lovely, you should try it.
Plus it comes with tons of nutritional benefits:
- Loaded with iron, B vitamins, and vitamin C, which actually promotes iron absorption. These are essential for the release of energy from food.
- It contains a plethora of other important minerals, some of which are generally lacking in the modern diet. This includes calcium, potassium, and magnesium.
- Offers Vitamin K for bone health and cell growth
- It’s also packed with omega-3 acids, which can be very helpful for fighting the symptoms of depression
- In addition, the combination of greens in this salad support a healthy immune system, which can be very beneficial in the fight against cancer
West Coast Kale Salad
For the kale
- 1 bunch dinosaur lacinato kale, stems removed, torn into large pieces
- 1 tablespoon hemp oil can substitute for flax oil or EVOO
- 1/2 lemon juice only
For the salad
- 1/2 cup mung beens dry
- 2 cups mache rosettes greens or arugula
- 1 cup cole slaw mix or shredded cabbage & carrots
- 1 big handful of micro greens or sprouts
- 4 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 mandarin orange peeled and segmented
For the dressing
- 1/4 cup pf hemp oil
- 1 lime juice only
- 1/2 cup cilantro chopped
- 1 inch piece fresh ginger peeled
- 1 medjool date
- 2 tablespoon sesame seeds or 1 Tbs tahini
- Start with rinsing the mung beans. Place them in a medium size pot and add 1 1/2 cups of water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until tender, about 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile wash all your vegetables well.
- Place the kale (stems removed, torn into large pieces) in a large bowl and pour oil and lemon juice on top. Using your hands, massage the kale leaves, working the hemp oil and lemon juice into the leaves. If you’ve got some large leaves, tear them into smaller pieces as you go. Continue to massage for about 5 minutes, until kale is a vibrant green and has broken down. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, prep the dressing by combing all ingredients in a high speed bender for about 3-5 minutes or until smooth and creamy. Pour into a mason jar or glass bottle an set aside.
- Toss remaining greens into the bowl with massaged kale. Gently mix it up.
- Place a generous serving of greens on a large plate, top with 1/2 of the sliced radishes, few mandarin orange slices and about 1/2 cup cooked mung beans. Pour a generous amount of dressing over salad, mix and enjoy.
If you like this recipe, let us know! Leave a comment or tag a photo #AVrecipes on Instagram. Be well, friends!