Calling all pizza lovers! This plant based, gluten-free pie is loaded with protein and also contains a good deal of B vitamins, iron, magnesium and potassium. The base is actually a traditional recipe for socca, which is a flatbread made from garbanzo bean flour,water and few herbs. This chickpea flour crust provides sets a foundation for the creamy vegan ricotta and pile of veggies and together they form a totally yummy healthy powerhouse!
GARBANSO BEAN FLOUR
(also called CHICKPEA/BESAN/GRAM/FLOUR)
Garbanzo flour is one of the most nutrient-packed gluten-free flours available. Traditionally made by grinding raw chickpeas, it’s full of healthy protein and fiber. Garbanzo flour also offer a good array of vitamins and minerals. For example, it contains calcium and magnesium in an ideal ratio, a very high amount of folate — which is essential for a healthy pregnancy — good dose of energizing B vitamins like vitamin B6 and a decent amount of heart-healthy potassium. This flour even contain some of the powerful antioxidant mineral selenium, as well as iron and plenty of plant-based protein.
Socca Pizza Pie
- 1 1/4 cup chickpea/garbanzo bean flour
- 1 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 tbsp coconut oil 1 tbsp for the dough and 1 tbsp for heating pan
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/4 tsp celtic sea salt
- fresh pepper to taste
- 1 tsp of dried herbs of your choice basil, oregano, thyme
- 10 to 12 inch Pan oven safe cast iron works great
- 1 1/2 cups nut pulp or 1 cup of nuts almonds,cashews, Brazil or Macadamia work best
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 large lemon juiced
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 garlic clove minced
- Celtic sea salt & fresh cracked pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup vegan creamy ricotta recipe follows
- 10 cherry tomatoes cut in halve
- 2 Tbs Walnuts chopped
- 1/2 cup Sprouted greens of your choice
- Extra Salt/pepper to sprinkle on top
- Red pepper flakes
- 1 Tbs hemp oil optional
- Make the batter: Place the chickpea flour, water, 1 Tbs coconut oil, garlic salt, pepper and herbs in a high speed blender. Blend on medium speed for 1 min. Let stand for 15-20 minutes at room temperature.
- While the batter is sitting, preheat oven to broil. Place your pan in the oven to heat for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile make the ricotta cheese.
- Place all ingredients into a blender or food processor, process until creamy stopping to scrape down the sides every coupe of minutes. Taste for flavors adding any additional ingredients. Set aside.
- Using oven mitts, remove pan from the oven after 10 minutes. (Be careful, pan is really hot!!!)
- Add 1 tbsp of coconut oil to the pan and swirl it around to coat pan.
- Slowly pour in your chickpea batter. Tilt pan to make sure batter fills in evenly.
- Change oven temperature to 425F and place pan back in for 5- 8 minutes - depending on the size of your pan. Bigger pan = pizza will be thinner and will probably take less time, so check at 5 minutes.Once the batter is set, remove it from the oven.
- Spread the ricotta on top. Then add sliced tomatoes and sprinkle walnuts on top.
- Place back in oven for 10-15 minutes until the pizza is crispy and brown on outside.
- Remove from the oven. Carefully slide the pizza crust onto a marble/stone or heat safe surface.
- Top with a bunch of sprouts/microgreens and any additional toppings - herbs, salt, black pepper or pepper flakes.
- Drizzle hemp oil on top if desired. Slice and serve with green salad.
- chop/slice your vegetables. Set aside
Bon Appetit, we hope you enjoy it!