This Quiche is one of my favorite go-to breakfast/dinners when it is time to mix things up at the house! It is just over-the-top delicious, easy to make, tasty and healthy.
Instead of using normal pastry for a crust, I used sweet potatoes which tastes divine, is way healthier and makes this dish gluten-free if you use tamari instead of soy sauce.
Skinny Sweet Potato Vegan Quiche
- 6 small sweet potatoes
- 1 yellow pepper chopped
- 1/2 an onion chopped
- 4 spring onions/scallions chopped with the white and green parts separate
- 4 cloves garlic crushed and chopped
- 3 mushrooms chopped
- 2 cups chopped kale
- 2 cups baby spinach
- A large handful fresh basil leaves
- 1 package firm tofu
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- ½ teaspoons turmeric
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce or tamari if gluten-free
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2/3 cup soy or almond milk
- 2 teaspoons arrowroot
- 2 tablespoon coconut or olive oil
- Peel sweet potatoes and slice thinly with a food processor or knife.
- Lay potato slices out in pie dish in a crust-like fashion, coated with tablespoon coconut oil, and bake on 400 degrees fahrenheit for 15 minutes. (After crust has baked, reduce oven to 375 degrees fahrenheit.)
- Now heat the rest of oil in a frying pan and cook the onion, white part of the scallions and the garlic until they are soft.
- Add in the pepper and mushrooms and saute for about 10 minutes.
- After this, add in the spinach, kale, basil and green parts of the scallions. You may have to do this a little at a time as they will have to wilt down a bit to fit in the pan.
- As they wilt, turn the heat down to its lowest setting and start with the tofu mixture.
- For this you will add to a food processor or blender the tofu, mustard, turmeric, soy sauce, nutritional yeast, milk, arrowroot and oil. Blend until you have a smooth consistency.
- Pout the tofu mixture into the greens and stir until everything is combined.
- Now pour this into the sweet potatoe crust and bake in the pre-heated oven for 40 -50 minutes, depending on how deep or shallow your dish is.
- Just check it after 35 minutes to make sure it’s not too brown.
- Tastes best a little warm