Have you ever tried this exotic fruit?
There are two main types of persimmons, the Fuyu and Hachiya. While most recipes will specify which to use, it’s good to have a basic understanding of the difference. Fuyus are squatty, round and crisp and can be eaten like an apple or pear. Hachiyas, on the other hand, are oblong, soft, and pulpy and are most often used in baking recipes. Many beginning bakers make the mistake of not letting Hachiyas ripen fully before using: they should be so soft that if you grab ahold too firmly, they’ll bruise. So next time you’re at the farmers market or the grocery store and see a display of these vibrant orange beauties, pick up a few and try this recipe!
Raw Persimmon Parfait
- 1 cup ripe persimmon flesh
- 2 scoops of vegan protein powder - optional we used Sunwarrior Raw Vegan Protein
- 1/2 cup water
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- dried mulberries dried fruit of your choice
- Be sure that the persimmons ripe. They will feel mushy. Cut in half and with a spoon, remove the flesh of the fruit and place in the blender.
- Add the protein powder (if using), water, vanilla, maple syrup and cinnamon.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into 2 single serving cups and top with a dried mulberries or topping of your choice.
- Enjoy right away or chill in the fridge. It will thicken some as it chills.