There are so many things to love about summertime…
One is the abundance of fresh local produce! Every time Nik and I visit the neighborhood farmer’s market it feels like a trip to Willy Wonka’s Chocolate Factory – so many vibrant, in-season fruits and vegetables calling our name! Last week we picked up a cute little purple cabbage, a handful of English peas, mini cucumbers and an oversized radish. With that, we decided to treat ourselves to a raw vegan taco dinner.
Eating raw (no-cook) foods during the summer comes pretty naturally to us. We crave the freshness and most of our meals during this time of the year are more a matter of assembly than actual cooking. After all fresh local organic and consciously prepared food is such a blessing to your body, mind, spirit and the planet. So we highly suggest to include more of those into your diet.
And on that note – let’s check out the recipe…
Mango Lime Vegan Cabbage Tacos
- 1 small head of red cabbage 2-3 leaves per person
- 1 ripe mango cut into small chunks
- 1-2 mini cucumbers thinly sliced
- 1 bell pepper thinly sliced
- 2-4 radishes thinly sliced
- 1 avocado
- 1/4 cup fresh English peas shelled
- hemp hearts for garnishing
- mango lime sauce below
Mango Lime Sauce
- 2 ripe mangos peeled and sliced
- 2 limes juice only
- 4 Medjool dates pitted
- 1-2 inch fresh ginger peeled
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
- 1-2 tbsp water optional
- Carefully tear your cabbage leaves away from the head of cabbage trying to keep them as whole as possible. Wash, set aside.
- Wash clean all your other produce well, slice/chop to desired size and shape. Set aside.
- Make your Mango Lime Sauce by blending all the sauce ingredients together in your food processor/blender until smooth. We enjoy the creaminess and thickness of this sauce as is but feel free to add 1-2 tbs water to achieve your desired consistency.
- Fill each cabbage leaf with your veggies, sprinkle with hemp hearts and serve with mango lime sauce.
- Enjoy all the beautiful flavours and make sure to chew well 😉
These cabbage tacos make a fun and flavourful meal that takes about 15-20 minutes to prepare. You can use either purple or green cabbage leaves or butter or romaine lettuce for the taco shell.
If you’re into fast and tasty Mexican-inspired dishes, be sure to check out this Simple Plant-Based Mexican Bowl.