Looking for a summer recipe you can bring for family barbecue or picnic and don’t know what to bring? How about this wonderfully refreshing lemon pie?
Just look at it? Doesn’t it look inviting?
This recipe is a contribution of Nóri from Ingenious Cooking.
“Nóri is a creative foodie, ex-PCOS patient, mom of a little baby girl, scientist, coffee lover to name a few things that come to mind. She’s been blogging about eating sugar-, gluten- and dairy-free on a moderate carb (160g CH/day) diet for some time now, with recipes that are mostly egg-free and vegan, too. Sugar-free means no sugar, not even unrefined ones and gluten-free means oat-free in her book. ”
No bake light lemon pie (sugar-free, vegan, GF)
- juice and zest of 1 organic lemon the one I used weighed 200g
for the crust
- 150 g / 1 cup of cashews
- 100 g / 0.5 cup dried pitted dates
- 2 tablespoons of xylitol
for the lemon curd
- 2 tablespoons of coconut oil 30g
- 300 ml / 1.25 cup plant milk I chose brown rice milk
- 0.25 teaspoon stevia powder
- 20 g / 1 tablespoon tapioca starch
- 0.5 tablespoon lime juice
- 1 teaspoon agar-agar powder
- For the crust, roast cashews in a sandwich grill or a dry pan.
- Put dates and cashews in a food processor, mix until smooth.
- Boil xylitol with 4 tablespoons of lemon juice, add to cashew-date mixture: pulse again and press this sticky paste into cake pan.
- Mix tapioca starch and agar-agar powder with approx. 100 ml milk, set aside. Mix remaining ingredients of curd in a sauce pan: coconut oil, remaining milk, stevia powder, lemon zest and juice, lime juice. Boil curd while continuously whisking and add starchy mixture: once it starts to thicken, take off heat and whisk a couple of times.
- Once the filling has cooled, pour it into the crust and put in refrigerator for at least 4 hours for the curd to set.