Hmmm…roasted cauliflower. I find that this recipe turns even cauliflower haters into fans.
So what makes this cauliflower “cheesy” but dairy free you may be wondering? No I did not use fake or imitation cheese (yucky). I used nutritional yeast, which is a healthy alternative to cheese that has a delicious nutty cheese flavor that will blow your mind, cheese lover or not.
"Cheesy" Whole Roasted Cauliflower
- 1 2.5 lb/1.15 kg head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoon of water more if mixture is to dry
- 1 teaspoon garam masala spice mix
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper more or less to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400° and lightly grease a small baking sheet with vegetable oil. Set aside.
- Trim the base of the cauliflower to remove any green leaves and the woody stem.
- In a medium bowl, combine the oil,water, nutritional yeast and all spices,salt and pepper.
- Dunk the cauliflower into the bowl and use a brush or your hands to smear the marinade evenly over its surface.
- Place the cauliflower on the prepared baking sheet and roast until the surface is dry and lightly browned, 30 to 40 minutes. The marinade will make a crust on the surface of the cauliflower.
- Let the cauliflower cool for 10 minutes before cutting it into wedges and serving alongside a big green salad.