A delicious and creamy with no added sugar pie filling, vanilla infused and spiced is filled in a gluten-free coconut crust that gives these pies a buttery and nutty flavor, creating the perfect match! Enjoy as a beautiful fall treat or any day you like a special dessert.
Did you also know that pumpkin and winter squash are nutritional powerhouses?
5 Fast Facts Pumpkin:
- high in beta-carotene
- full of iron, zinc and vitamin C
- rich in anti-oxidants
- 246% RDA of vitamin C
- good source of B complex vitamins
3 Helpful Tips:
Tip #1: You can substitute the nuts you use in the crust. We’ve used both pecans and coconut and both were good.
Tip #2: You can substitute the sweetener you use in the filling – just use your favorite liquid sweeter, date paste or natural, raw sugar.
Tip #3: This recipe makes 24 mini-pies. Of course, you could also try out this recipe in a standard pie form, if that’s what you’re going for!
So let’s get to the pumpkin action!
Mini Vegan Pumpkin Pies, GF
For the crust
- 2 cups shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup pecan roasted
- 15 medjool dates
- 1 tsp allspice
- 1 tsp cinnamon
For the pumpkin filling
- 2 cans of organic pumpkin puree not pumpkin pie filling
- 10 medool dates
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1 TBSP chia seeds
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 3 TBSP arrowroot or cornstarch
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by preheating the oven to 350° F.
- Roast the pecans for approximately 10 minutes, until fragrant and lightly browned and crackled.
- Put the crust ingredients(except pecans in a food processor or heavy-duty blender and blend until dough starts to form.
- Now process the pecans, but be careful not to blend too long or you will release the oil from the nuts.
- Put both the dough and ground pecans in a bowl and mix well.
- keep mixing until a sticky dough forms (you could also try mixing with your hands).
- If the dough doesn't hold together when pressed between two fingers, add a couple of tablespoons of water until it is wet enough to hold.
- Put a small ball of dough into each greased mini muffin form and press down and up the sides as firmly as you can.
- Remember that if your dough looks crumbly, it will probably crumble when baked as well so be careful to really press it together!
- To prepare the filling...
- Put all ingredients for the filling into a Vitamix and blend well until smooth and creamy.
- Fill each mini-muffin holder to the top with the filling mixture.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, until browned at the top and crispy on the outsides of the pie crust.
- Let cool completely before serving.