Your liver might just be the most underappreciated organ in your body.
It is your body’s largest internal organ and one of its important functions is to help remove toxins and harmful substances. Your liver functions in your body in a similar way a filter would. Just as a filter catches dirt and solid particles, the liver detoxifies our bodies from harmful chemicals and toxins found in food and in our environment. Besides its primary role in protecting your body from harmful substances, your liver plays other key roles, too.
Your liver is…Your power source.
The liver helps digest your food and turns it into energy. By converting proteins, carbohydrates, fat, and vitamins into energy, the liver ensures that your body has what it needs to keep going.
Your liver is…Your engine.
It drives many of your body’s critical systems and when it breaks down, your body will too.
Your liver is…Your hormone regulator.
One of the most important functions of the liver is to break down and remove excess hormones from your body. One hormone, in particular, is estrogen.
Just because it sits quietly in your body most of the time doesn’t mean it can thrive without special care. Maybe 20 or 30 years ago, a healthy person’s liver did just fine without any extra support, but today we live in a different world.
It’s important that we pay close attention to how we feel and how our body performs on a day to day basis and if needed, give our liver some extra help and support.
Signs and Symptoms Your Liver Is Not Functioning Optimally
- Bloating and gas
- Acid reflux and heartburn
- Skin and/or eyes that are yellowish
- Inability to lose weight
- High blood pressure
- Moodiness, anxiety or depression
- Dark urine
- Chronic fatigue
- Excessive sweating
- Bruise easily
- Poor appetite
Fortunately, you can help improve your liver’s functioning. If you feel that your liver could use a boost, start by cleaning up your diet. Minimize processed foods, base your diet on fresh, organic, raw fruits and vegetables, including at least 2 litres of clean filtered water and don’t forget to move your body – daily. Also try adding this beet, carrot, orange, lemon, ginger juice into your daily diet for a few weeks.
Liver Cleansing Juice
- 1 beet
- 10 carrots
- 2 oranges peeled
- 1 lemon peeled
- 1 inch piece of ginger
- Prep all your produce - wash, peel and cut. Put all ingredients through a juice extractor (juicer). Stir and serve immediately.
That's okay. You can still enjoy this power drink by following these instructions:
- Prep all your produce - wash, peel and cut.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth, adding about 1/4 cup of filtered water.
- Place a fine mesh strainer over a large bowl and pour the juice over. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to press the pulp down and squeeze all of the juice out. Allow to sit for 2-3 minutes to let most of the juice drain.
- Discard pulp and pour your juice into a serving glass. Drink immediately.