Who remembers Rice Pudding!? It definitely reminds me of when my mom would make it when I was little. The warmth from the oven… and oh that smell! I would always load it with cinnamon and well burn my tongue, because I couldn’t wait for it to cool!
We are here in Czech with Zuzana’s family and recently they were making a traditional rice pudding which is pretty much – rice, eggs, sugar and more sugar 😛
That inspired us to create this healthy, guilt-free Vegan version of this traditional dish. The turn out was great! Guess what? We didn’t even add any type of sugar, it is sweet enough!
Coconut Buckwheat "Rice" Pudding
- 1 cup Kasha Buckwheat - well rinsed
- 1 tbsp coconut oil + extra for dish
- 1 can organic coconut milk
- 1/4 cup raisins soaked
- 1 large apple grated
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh apricots/plums* pitted + halved
- *or any other fruit in season or preferred
- 1/4 cup shredded organic coconut
- 2 tbsp ground flax seed
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- In a large pot heat 1 tbsp coconut oil - add in the dry kasha (to lightly toast).
- Add in the full can of coconut milk - mix well. Bring to a boil and then turn to low heat add in the flax meal and chia seeds - allow it to simmer and cook fully (approx. 20 mins)
- Preheat oven to *375
- soak your raisins in warm water
- grate the apple into a large mixing bowl + 1 tsp cinnamon
- coat a baking pan with coconut oil and lightly dust the bottom with shredded coconut
- Once the Kasha is finished cooking - spread it onto a plate to cool it down (mixing it every so often).
- While the Kasha is cooling prepare your choice of fruit for layering - set aside.
- When the Kasha has cooled (luke warm) add it to the bowl with the apples and cinnamon. Mix well.
- Spread a layer of the Kasha/Apple mixture (using about 1/2 of whats in the bowl) on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Next add a layer of fruit and complete with another layer of Kasha.
- Finish by sprinkling shredded coconut on top and it's ready to bake! Bake for 40-50 minutes.
This recipe is a great addition to Meal Prep days – it’s a perfect breakfast or post workout meal.
Dedicated to your health & wellbeing,